^^ Pretty sure the UK, USA and AUS don’t have these guys singing so epically at their opening!
So let’s begin with the obvious, where have the blog posts been? Well let me break it down:
- I am attempting some app smashing.
- I will need a little more time to complete this.
- We only get the iPads for 1 1/2 hours a week.
- My kids couldn’t use book creator yet.
- I thought they could.
- We also had to learn how to YET AGAIN connect to the internet, find photo’s, save photo’s and insert them.
- This project comes with a home research/ poster project/ and possibly the use of green screen which all need to miraculously be in the book before the 2 December.
- The first word that comes to mind is LOL.
Now onto the actual reason I am blogging today. Last week, the 20 October it was the annual Apple in Education Competition prize giving evening. This year it was held at the very beautiful Redhill College in Joburg and as always it was night that teachers could liken to The Oscars. We teachers don’t get too many of these auspicious events so we must take them where we can. This year there was a nice little element added where schools could also audition to be the entertainment. These guys from General Smuts High School really blew us away with their Pitch Perfect like skills. I love Pitch Perfect so it really helped to set the mood for the evening.
Let’s lay down some Apple nutritional facts:
- There are now over 115 000 educational apps (YOH!)
- All apps are quality controlled
- Text books are now available on ZA books
- There is an App guide linked to our CAPS curriculum (Hello!)
- Think Ahead offers training to parents, teachers and students
- Over 300 schools are now involved!
The AECZA event now boasts 8 categories! This allows for so much flexibility in topics especially when you are in the lower grades like myself, because we keep it simple obviously.
^^ Some of the winning entries, you can’t believe that these are YOUTHS! To check out all the winners look HERE and please do yourself a favour and watch “Lovely” all I can say is WOW!
^^ An iPhotography entrant. Must. Enter. All. My. Kids. Next. Year.
^^ Oh hey, It’s Paul Hamilton just being a judge. Casual.
And then what!!! We won the Grade R-2 section on Exploring Sciences. Flip I was stoked. I was also bleak because I only entered this one project! I should have entered everything… moral of the story is don’t doubt yourself, we are all doing great stuff.
^^ This kid and her superb vocabulary. Morgan E, the cutest!
So let’s recap:
- Free nom noms
- Great entertainment
- Mind blowing examples of the 21st child and how they will dominate the world
- Possible prize winning opportunities!
You can’t go wrong really. Hope to see EVERYONE there next year. EVERYONE.